What is Cosmetic Acupuncture?
Cosmetic Acupuncture is an extensive holistic treatment that rejuvenates the face.
It involves the application of very fine small acupuncture needles to the face, followed by dermal hammering.
These two techniques break up the keratin which forms wrinkles.
Acupuncture and dermal hammering are followed up with gua aha and facial massage. Gua Sha involves lightly scraping across the skin with a spoon. This helps to plump up the skin by activating collagen production. Facial massage works on smoothing out and toning the facial muscles.
All of these techniques work together to promote a complete rejuvenation of the different layers of the skin and the underlying muscles.
How Does It Work?
- Increasing blood supply to the skin, which helps to provide an increase to the natural glow of the skin. Increasing circulation to the skin improves the general health of your skin.
- Promotes collagen production: collagen is the stuff that gives our skin elasticity. Collagen production declines as we age, hence reduction in the stretchiness, plumpness and spring of our skin. This is one of the factors that leads to sagging and wrinkles.
- Acupuncture along the course of fine lines and wrinkles physically breaks up the keratin that forms them. By breaking up the keratin, the lines become smoothed out, flattened and softened, making them less noticeable.
- The dermal hammering also encourages the return of the Langerhans cells to the skin. These cells are part of your immune system and have an important role in maintaining good skin health. One of the functions of the Langerhans cells is to combat sun damage and pigmentation changes.
What changes can I expect?
The changes do depend on your age, how much time you have spent in the sun and whether or not you smoke cigarettes.
The sun and cigarettes are the 2 most damaging factors on your skin. If you smoke you will need more sessions and will need to return for treatment annually in order to maintain the changes.
Cosmetic Acupuncture will:
- Increase the vitality and glow of your skin
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and mild wrinkles
- Even out skin tone
- Reduce sagging
- Reduce the appearance of acne scars.